10 May 2015

my mom

Watching her from across the room, I could see her "mom instinct" kick into action. It's an unmistakable trait. After being a mother for 35 years, she was now faced with the task of being a mother to her father and mother. The roles were now reversed. All the care, love, sleepless nights that she used to pour into her three kids, she was now pouring into her own parents. 

At first it was just stopping in to check on them during lunch breaks. One load of laundry. A bathroom cleaned. Christmas decorations up. Slowly it became more. Several trips to their house a week. Doctor appointments. Late night trips to the ER. Early morning trips to the ER....

Suddenly it was her whole life. Morning. Noon. And night. The care became constant. The days long. But still she was present. Beside her father's bedside to the end.
And after. She's still there. Being a mother to her mother. Watching her steps and catching her falls. Preparing meals and sleeping by her side. It's another reminder to me that motherhood is never-ending. It's a title she gladly took on with the cry of her first born in 1980. In 2015 she's still the best mother...to me, my sister and now her own mother.

A mother's care is a tender wonder to behold. It's emotional. It's spiritual. It's physical. It's possible only because of God's love that fills up her soul, which she then pours out onto others. 

"Her children rise up and call her blessed." Yes. Yes. Yes....a 1000 times YES! Mom, thank you for teaching me the wonderful job of mothering. I want to be like you when I grow up.



No comments: